Wednesday 16 May 2007

Chim chiminey, Chim chiminey, Chim chim cher-ee

Tomorrow I have a man coming to look at my chimney. I have strict instructions on what he should look at and quote for. It's all about smoke in the loft and said smoke emerging above the roof line, leaking into the void between the living room ceiling and the floor above. The pointing and mortar in the stack above the roof line is dodgy, we need a bird guard to keep out the jackdaws and the register plate is very rusty. Apparently. I think I know what all this means, but tomorrow I will pretend it is all clear as crystal rather than murky as soot. Personally I could do with a bit of Dick Van Dyke to help me out, or perhaps if I was Mary Poppins I could sort it out myself with a spoonful of sugar, or some supercalifragilistic expialidocious. As it is, I'll smile, nod, look intelligent and try and ask the right kind of questions.
Quick update. "Dick" and mate turned up to poke at the chimney in professional fashion. Less professionally they talked about the registration plate. I was very good. I didn't laugh until they left.

3 comments:

Mutterings and Meanderings said...

You don't want a sweep dancing all over your roof with a mockney accent now, do you?

The only thing missing from this place is a real fire - my last two places had them. I am a whizz at firelighting!

Eurodog said...

I love Mary Poppins. Saw it again recently after many years.

Mopsa said...

Ooh, I don't know M&M - mockney he was, but even so I'm a sucker for fab overblown musicals, and like Eurodog I love Mary Poppins. Here I rely absolutely on woodburners - no central heating so fires are a must.