Saturday 13 December 2008

The big melt

Weather warnings across the South West not to drive, and I don't hear about it until I'm out in the car, you know, driving. It's clear that water has whooshed down the roads overnight, leaving huge mounds of leafy, twiggy and branchy detritus. The gullies are roaring streams and the river is just contained within its banks, having subsided from the surrounding fields. Everywhere water. My twenty year old Puffa, without even the vaguest memories of waterproofing, is quickly soaked through, and I keep warm if not dry, by hurling soiled straw out of bird huts into the wheelbarrow as quickly as possible.

4 comments:

mountainear said...

...and it's warm again. Hard to keep up with this climate. Over the course of this last week we've had about everything one could imagine weatherwise (barring a heatwave). I don't regret living on the top of a hill.

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

We had frost then snow a few days ago. It looked wonderful and seasonal and I too am glad that I live up on a hill - no flooding!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I saw some of the flood pictures on TV last night. You take care!

Anonymous said...

I recently bought myself a new dog-walking coat on our local market for £10 - yes! Ten pounds!! And it's great! It's a very warm, padded, totally waterproof, plain navy, young man's jacket and perfect for my needs. Oh, it's also plasticky and the outside part feels chilly to the touch, but who cares? Go down to your nearest market and see what they have - getting cold and wet is a recipe for getting sick!!

I love the photo of water droplets! :)