Thursday 12 March 2009

Woodland nymph

There's been playing about in the woods the last few days. Time was getting short for coppicing so it rushed to the top of the list. It's too wet to take a vehicle down, so a barrow was piled with chainsaw, loppers, appropriate lubricants (chain oil not brandy), thick thornproof gloves, and the dogs were called and off we went.
On the way there were various distractions; snow-cracked prone willows had to be cut down to restore the pathways, and I oohed and aahed at the bubbling of the new tadpoles and the fresh flush of primroses.
This Green Woodcup (or Green Elfcup) caught my eye, as it always does. I am a stickler for picking up rogue bits of plastic and twine, so I always check out patches of unnatural colour. Only this is entirely natural, and a pleasure, not a pain.

7 comments:

Scriptor Senex said...

I love fungi but that is one I've never been fortunate enough to see. I must keep my eyes open now I have a better idea what I'm looking for.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Well you have taught me something. Until today I never even knew that Chlorociboria aeruginascens existed!

Flowerpot said...

that's amazing, Mopsa. Thanks for that!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I've never seen one before. Love the colour.

mountainear said...

I've learned something too but shall refer to it by its common name -far easier to remember.

And tadpoles too - ours are still in the manufacturing process.

Anonymous said...

It always amazes me - I still ooh and ahh at it!

Mopsa said...

SS - it's a beauty - I've only ever seen it in damp woodlands.

YP - I knew I was good for summat.

Fpot - you're welcome

Welshcakes - it's not ubiquitous, but I see it here every year.

M'ear - them tadpoles are wiggling and squirming like mad.

Paula - let's ooh and ahh!